Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Sesame Tofu

OMG chinese food!!!! Also, my entry for the SOS Kitchen Challenge: October! Also, first in my series of Food Around the World! (just wait, it will be great...)


Seriously, this is pretty much restaurant-worthy sesame tofu.

The Recipe:

Use extra-firm tofu: either buy a brick and drain, blot between paper towels, and chop into bite-sized cubes, or if you can find it- use the pre-cubed variety.

Lightly bread tofu cubes in potato starch (/flour of your choice). I did this by dropping tofu into a ziplock bag with a few teaspoons of flour, and tossing until breaded.

"Fry" tofu by sauteing it with sesame oil on a frying pan until lightly toasted. (Or, deep fry in sesame oil if you dare!) Also, be careful if you throw a ton of the cubelets on a small pan-- the breading will make them stick together! So keep stirring/chopping them apart.

The sauce:

1.5 tbs agave nectar
3 tbs bragg's liquid aminos
2 tps powdered ginger
~1-2 cloves garlic (I used a dash of garlic paste instead)
4 tsp red chili powder (I used a dash of red pepper hot paste)
2 tbs sesame oil
1/2 tbs apple cider vinegar
1.2 tsp potato starch (optional-- I tried to thicken it a bit, but it didn't do much!)

Pour sauce over tofu, then sprinkle with sesame seeds. Eat, and finally satisfy that chinese food craving-- minus the sugar, MSG, and other unhealthy mystery ingredients!


1 comment:

  1. A truly stunning submission--thank you so much for posting this! I had been toying with the idea of a sesame tofu for my second entry, but glad you beat me to it--yours is MUCH prettier and sounds much tastier than mine! So glad to see this for this month's SOS Kitchen Challenge. :D

    ReplyDelete