Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Rocky Mountain Mystery Green Dinosaur Cookies

1. When I was little I thought the Rocky Mountains looked like chocolate chip cookies, because they were tan with dark spots (which were trees, and sadly not chocolate.)

2. I decided that I'm going to be a dinosaur for halloween this year. Also, when I was little, I had a song that went "Roo doo doo doo dooo doo-doo di-o-na-saaur, what are YOU going to be-for-Hallow-ee-een?" I would sing this consistently from Sept 1-October 31, and I though that a dinosaur was the WORST thing in the WORLD to be for Halloween.

3. I read that when sunflower nut butter is cooked it turns green. Sometimes. How mysterious!

1 + 2 + 3 = Rocky Mountain Mystery Green Dinosaur Cookies!!!!!

Version 1: 

THE RECIPE:

1/2 c coconut oil
1 egg
1 tbs + 1 tsp agave
1/2 c sunflower nut butter (I use Maranatha)   --> cream all above ingredients
1 c all purpose gluten free flour
1/2 c millet flour
1.5 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbs tapioca flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 drops stevia

Mix all ingredients. I tried rolling/cutting a few into dinosaur shapes, but they were too crumbly. Also, too oily. Also, not alll that sweet, but still yummy. ALSO: THEY WERE NOT GREEN!!!!! how disappointing.

This led me to:

Version 2: (aka, WTF??!? cookies)

THE RECIPE****:

1/2 cup coconut oil
2 eggs
3 tsp agave
1/2 cup sunflower nut butter  ---> cream all above ingredients
1 c all purpose flower
1/2 cup millet flower
1.5 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tbs tapioca flour
10 drops stevia
unknown and unrecorded amount of yacon syrup.


Okay here's the deal. 1) They turned green. Very, very, awesomely green. 2) They were absolutely disgusting, and WAY too greasy. And, I had NO idea why. Then, two weeks after I fed these green monsters to my dad and sister because I couldn't stand them, my mom told me that she put sesame oil in an unlabeled Yacon Syrup can.

So, these probably would have been great, had I actually used yacon and not, apparently, sesame oil. As it were, they were awful. So, make at your own risk. (= ****)

Oh- also- sunbutter + baking powder = green. Mystery solved. DINOSAURRR!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,
    I found your blog while looking for SunButter recipes and never imagined I'd find your mystery tale! As a SunButter blogger, I can affirm that when baking with SunButter, you should cut back the amount of baking soda / powder into about half of what the recipe asks for--unless you want green goodies! See, there's a reaction between the chlorophyll in sunflower seeds and the baking soda/powder. You can also add a bit of lemon juice to the recipe. As a fellow baker, I'm enjoying your blog. Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete