Sunday, May 29, 2011

Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Cake

My birthday was a couple weeks ago, and I made myself a cake.


Back in the day, when I wanted to make something truly decadent, I used to look up recipes on the Godiva chocolate website (they have a great gourmet recipe selection). Birthday desserts, boyfriend desserts- Godiva had me covered for all of 'em. So, I decided to take on the challenge of adapting a truly decadent chocolate cake recipe.

Also influencing my inspiration- around this time for the past 4 years was Lawnparties at my eating club in Princeton. This involved an enormous brunch with just about every type of gourmet cake / tart imaginable... and thus resulted in a total deterioration of my diet, for at least a couple days. Obviously I had to make a substitute for that experience, too.

So, I present, the best cake EVER, and of course, gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy-free.
I also submitted this recipe for the Daily Dietribe's Gluten-Free Birthday Cake Challege (awesome).

Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Cake

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a round (~9 inch?) springform pan.

LAYER 1: Dense Chocolate Cake

¾ c ghee/coconut oil mix
1 c coconut sugar
¼ c light agave          ---> heat on stove until melted and well-mixed; whisk together/stir continuously. Let cool slightly.

2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla    ---> after wet ingredients cool slightly, whisk in eggs and vanilla




2/3 c flour combination: oat, all-purpose GF, brown rice, millet, tapioca
¼ tsp guar gum
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ c cocoa powder    ---> combine dry ingredients in a bowl, then add them to the wet ingredients. Mix well. 
Pour batter into springform pan, and bake ~30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Let cool in springform pan.

 
LAYER 2: Raspberry Layer

2 c rapsberries
1 tsp powdered chia seeds
½ truvia packet
Stevia dusting       ---> combine all ingredients. I used about half frozen raspberries and half fresh raspberries.

LAYER 3: Chocolate Truffle Ganache Layer

1 c canned coconut milk (the more thick/fatty, the better)
10 oz Sunspire chocolate chips

1 tsp vanilla                           ---> heat coconut milk until hot. Pour over chocolate chips, add vanilla, stir until all chips are melted/smooth consistency is obtained. Let cool slightly.

ASSEMBLY:

After cake layer has cooled, (leaving it in spring form pan) spread a thin layer of truffle layer on top (so that raspberry layer won't make cake soggy). Next, spread on raspberry layer. Finally, top with truffle/ganache layer. Place in fridge to chill.


Before serving, remove sides of spring form pan.
Keep chilled before/after serving, or top layer will "sweat."

Hope you enjoy this delicious treat! Everyone's response to it was "I love how buttery the cake tastes!" And I said, "well, there's no butter in it!" Oh, the magic of quality ACD baking! :)












~~~~~~~~

In other news, I just went to my 1st Princeton Reunion! I'm proud to report that ate and drank (aka, didn't drink) well all weekend. Hooray for good life choices!!

Saturday fireworks show-- Goodness gracious, great balls of fire!!

View of the 5th reunion dancefloor from the Grass Knoll, c. 1am Friday Night.

10 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely delicious! Thanks so much for joining in on the birthday cake challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing! I love the way you have used chia seed in the raspberry sauce. Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a lovely cake! I'd love a slice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please help.

    In the birthday cake recipe, does the 2/3 cup flour mean 2/3 of each, or simply 2/3 of the one of your choosing?

    Where do you buy coconut sugar?

    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  5. The 2/3 cup flour means 2/3 cup in all- I used a combination of the listed flours to make up that 2/3 cup. Sorry for the confusion!

    I've bought coconut sugar at Whole Foods (they sell Coconut Secret brand), and also online from Essential Living Foods brand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, I am soon to make this deliciously tempting cake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't understand this--all-purpose flour is not gluten free, and gee is clarified butter. So it's not gluten free or dairy free.

    ReplyDelete
  8. By "all purpose" I am implying a gluten-free all purpose flour blend (such as Trader Joe's, or Namaste). (Also make sure your oat flour is gluten-free, as it can be contaminated if its label doesn't specify GF!)

    You're right that ghee technically still is dairy-based, but the purification process removes all lactose and milk solids. Therefore it is often suitable for people who can't eat traditional dairy.

    This recipe could also be made using all coconut oil instead of ghee.

    Sorry for being confusing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you think this could be done as a double layer? I was going to do them in separate pans and put the raspberry layer on each one, then stack them and ganache the top and let it run down the sides.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I think that would work well! (and be extra-delicious)

    ReplyDelete