Saturday, February 19, 2011

Seed Bread Sandwich


THE RECIPE:

Raw Seed Bread: (requires dehydrater):

1 c ground flaxseed
1/3 c whole flax seeds
1 tsp chia seeds
½ tsp sea salt
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T onion, minced
2/3 c sunflower seeds
¼ c sesame seeds
1 c water

Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl. Add enough water to make the mixture moldable, and able to stick together.

Use a spoon or spatula to spread out thin "slices" onto a dehydrator sheet. Since my (ghetto) dehydrator has really big holes in its trays, I spread the bread patties onto waxed paper, flipped it over onto a tray, and then peeled the paper off to leave the patty ready to dry.

This made about eight "slices."

You can take them out before entirely dry for a softer, more bread-y consistency. If you want to store them for a while, let them dry completely.


SANDWICHING:

avocado (or guacamole for a taco effect)
chopped tomato
mache! / lamb's lettuce / canonigos*

*Once upon a time, I was in Spain, had an awful hangover, was forced to eat pasta with tomato sauce for lunch, and felt like I was going to die (or kill myself) if I didn't eat something green immediately. So, I jumped into the local supermarcado in search of some spinach or lettuce. But, what I found in its place was a bag of canonigos (minus the frog in the bag....). They were pretty much awesome- a little bit bitter, but completely adorable, with their little bunches of baby leaves.

When I got back to the states, I did my research to find out what exactly this foreign salad stable was. I determined it is called Lamb's Lettuce here- I had never seen it before.

But then, behold! What should I find at my local Trader Joes- nestled right between the bags of arugula and spinach? Canonigos! Lamb's lettuce! Mache? Yes, the bag's primary label was "Mache", and it was the same awesome little green.

So, every now and then I buy it to add to salads. I still find to be a bit bitter on its own, but it makes a perfect salad base when mixed with arugula. It also was perfect on top of these raw sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment