Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Results are In...

So, about a month ago I started working with a new functional medicine doctor to have some comprehensive tests done, and figure out just what exactly my deal is. I needed to reevaluate my health plan.

The results came in last weekend, and weren't all-together unexpected. Nevertheless, I'll be on an even more restricted diet for the next month, as I eliminate all lectin-containing foods as well as the usual sugar, dairy, and gluten. This means no soy, beans, eggs, nightshades, etc... -- when life gives you lemons, grab the stevia!  Expect some crazy posts to come, including darkdarkdark chocolate fudge, and possibly coconut yogurt (I can eat fermented things now! the only good diet-news!)

So, the official results:
1. Leaky Gut Sydrome - tight junctions between cells in intestines leak, letting undigested large molecules through the Basesment Membrane Zone into my bloodstream.. triggering autoimmune reactions.

Leaky Brain - same thing can happen in the brain. Sounds scary, huh?

2. Gluten Intolerance - yes, no wheat for me. Also, no wheat for me in shampoo, lotion, toothpaste, etc.

3. Foods that Imitate Gluten - include Dairy, Rye, Barlet, Spelt, Yeast, Oats, Coffee... avoid those too!

4. Auto-immune attack on Thyroid and Pancreas -- hopefully fixing up my diet, fixing the leaky gut will let my body chill out a bit so this goes away too.


Basically, that's the situation- and really, it's not too bad. The only food I really had a bad reaction to in blood tests is gluten. Right now I'm focusing on a lectin-free diet to heal my gut and stop the leakiness!

I'm on day 3, and (although I don't want to get my hopes up) I honestly had shockingly normal energy levels today! AND didn't even wear my bloating-proof fat pants to work the last two days. Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment